Sewer Lateral Rebate FAQs

Lateral Rebate Program FAQ 300px

Here are some frequently asked questions regarding the City of Los Angeles, LA Sanitation and the Environment (LASAN), Sewer Repair Financial Assistance Program aka Sewer Lateral Rebate Program:

Q1. Who is eligible for the rebate?

A. All rate payers that pay sewer service charge to the City of Los Angeles, and are in good standing on their payments, are eligible to apply for the rebates.

Q2. What rebates are available?
A. CCTV Rebate of up to $300 and a Sewer Lateral Repair Rebate of up to $1,000. 

Here is the link to our online application.
Once on the page, please click on "Sanitation Billing" then "Sewer Lateral Repair Rebate".

Q3. If I apply for a rebate, will it be guaranteed?
A. No, rebates are given out on a first-come, first-serve basis, conditional upon the completeness and accuracy of the rebate application and supporting documentation, and are available until annual funds are exhausted.

Q4. Is the City responsible for the repair of the Sewer Lateral?
A. No, the sewer lateral is the responsibility of the property owners. 

Q5. What types of permits will be required?
A. A "S" permit is required for repairs to the sewer lateral. An "A" permit is required for any work that is done in the public right-of-way. 
Please see the BOE Public Counter in your area for more information. The locations of the BOE Public counters are at this link.

Q6. What is the public right-of-way?
A. The public right-of-way is City owned property beyond the edge of the sidewalk and continues into the street or alley.

Q7. Where can I email my CCTV video file?
A. Video file links can be provided within the rebate application form. If you are unable to provide a link, or your file will not upload, you may email your file to

Q8. Where do I mail my DVD or thumb drive?
A. If an online application is not possible, your CCTV (video) file is too large to upload into an email, or you are unable to provide a video file link in the on-line application, you may mail* a copy to:

LA Sanitation and Environment
WESD - Sewer Lateral Rebate Program
2714 Media Center Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90065

*The City is not responsible for lost or misdirected mail.

Q9. If I mail a copy of my CCTV video (DVD or thumb drive), will the City return this copy to me?
A. If you mail your CCTV video, be sure to save a copy for your records as the City cannot return any mailed DVDs or thumb drives, and will not be responsible for any lost or misdirected mail.

Q10. How do I hire a contractor to CCTV video my sewer lateral or repair my sewer lateral?
A. Here is some information to help you find and select a licensed and bonded sewer contractor from the California State License Contractors Board:
List of Bonded Sewer Contractors from the LASAN and Bureau of Engineering webpages that have met the Board of Public Works requirements. This list is only provided as a courtesy as the City does not sponsor any contractors on the list. 

Q11. What is the process after I fill out an application in MYLA311 SR portal?
A. The on-line application automatically sends a response once you fill out an application. At 25 calendar days after you first initiate an application a reminder is sent out to notify you to make sure you have everything turned in before 30 days is up. Approval time may vary as multiple divisions are involved in the approval process. Please expect at least 3-4 months for the application review period. Applicants can check the status of their application on line with their SR number at the MYLA311.

Q12. Once I apply for the rebate, how do I check the status of my online application?
A. In the confirmation email you receive there will be a service request (SR) number for your application. Go to the MyLA311 and log in to see the status of your application. You will need your SR number to check your status.

Q13. How do I get an application if I do not have Internet access?
Call our Customer Care Center at (800) 773-2489 to get the following documents in the mail: CCTV Application; Sewer Lateral Repair Application; IRS W-9 form (required only after the rebate is approved)

Q14. Do I need to complete the CCTV inspection or sewer lateral repair work to be eligible for the rebates, and can I apply for both?
A. Yes, CCTV work must not have been completed more than 6 months prior to the date of completion of the sewer lateral CCTV rebate application. Repairs and inspections related to sewer laterals must have the final permit signed by the City’s inspector no more than 60 days prior to completion of the sewer lateral repair rebate application. You may apply for both rebates.

For assistance with any of the rebate applications, you can contact the:

Sewer Lateral Rebate Program via email at
or through the Customer Care Center number at
(800) 773-CITY (24 hours/7 days a week) or for TTY: (213) 473-4112.

Click on this link to apply:
Once on the page, please click on "Sanitation Billing" then "Sewer Lateral Repair Rebate".

If you do not have internet access contact:
LA Sanitation and Environment
Sewer Lateral Rebate Program

24-hour Customer Care Center: (800) 773-2489

TTY: (213) 473-4112
LASAN Customer Care Center is open 24/7